False Certification of Ability to Benefit

You may be eligible to have a loan discharged (forgiven):

  • If you did not have a high school diploma or general equivalency diploma (G.E.D.) at the time you borrowed the loan, or
  • If the school did not determine your ability to benefit in accordance with the federal requirements that were in effect at the time you were enrolled, or
  • If you did not complete a remedial education course or obtain your G.E.D.

Different standards may apply depending when you borrowed.

What to Do:

You must complete and submit a false certification of ability to benefit discharge application form. You can request this form from the agency that holds your loan, or you can download it now. Check a recent demand letter or bill for this loan; if the address to which you are requested to send payment is the National Payment Center in Atlanta, GA, you should submit your completed form to:

U.S. Department of Education
P.O. Box 5609
Greenville, TX 75403-5609

You may request a copy of this discharge application form by calling
1-800-621-3115 (TTY: 1-877-825-9923).